Are you struggling to add depth and intrigue to your grilled steak, pork, or chicken dishes? Trust us – you’ll go wild for our onion clove compote recipe. Made using Vanille Vanille’s richly aromatic Madagascan cloves, this subtly sweet side dish will complement a wide range of hearty meat dishes.
If you’ve never used cloves before, they’re a little like nutmeg or allspice. Cloves are flower buds picked from the tropical clove tree and sun dried, and they’re renowned for their warm aroma. Be careful when storing your cloves. Keeping them out of direct sunlight in an airtight container will ensure they don’t lose their distinctive flavour.
For 2 cups of Onion-Clove Compote, use the following recipe:
- 3 yellow onions (thinly sliced)
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Melt the unsalted butter in a wide-based, shallow pan.
- Add your sliced onions and cloves, seasoning with a pinch of salt.
- Turn the hob down to very low heat, stirring every so often until the onions are very soft. This process should take between one and one and a half hours, and you should make sure that the onions don’t start crisping or turning brown. Sticking to a very gentle heat is vital for this recipe to work!
- Carefully pick the cloves from the pan – and voila! Your compote is ready to serve or refrigerate.
Whether you’re cooking for yourself or hosting a dinner party for your nearest and dearest, this deceptively simple recipe is guaranteed to go down a treat. Best of all – it keeps for up to a week in the fridge, meaning you can make a large tub and use it to spice up several meals!